Monday, December 8, 2008

Lolita

I have found a new obsession and its killing me. Well, not really, but I’m always thinking about it. I have said before on my blog that I like Japan and anime right? Well, I also like frilly dresses and more gothic style clothes. And then I was introduced to Gothic Lolita.

Now please don’t search up Lolita yet, or at least search it up WITH the gothic part. As many people know, Lolita was the name of the girl and the novel by Nakobov. Now, in that novel, it has a lot to do with pedophilia and well, really rather, disturbing content in it, and as soon as you mention Gothic Lolita, this is what they think. I mean, if you really think about it, Lolita style is kind of making fun of that novel, having people dress up to look younger, in a way of saying: So what?

Now Lolita, as defined in Wikipedia says: “Lolita (ロリータ・ファッション? roriita fasshon) is a fashion subculture in Japan that is primarily influenced by Victorian children’s clothing as well as costumes from the Rococo period.” Gothic Lolita is a little darker, with more black and white that usually had petticoats and frills. These dresses and other types of clothing are designed to look old, and make both men and women look a bit like dolls. When you go to anime conventions, people will be dressed up as their favourite character, but they might also be dressed up in Lolita, with insane or cool high heels, bonnets, mini top hats or other really cool things.

Now I am very envious of these people. They look so nice and cute and it was very much my style XP. A friend actually introduced me to a website that sells really nice gothic Lolita dresses. They are about $150 (the one I want, at least) and I’m hunting down a top hat and making a nice Victorian style choker. I also have flats with ruffles on the front and striped tights to go with the dress. I’m going to wear it at conventions.

Anyways, I just wanted to put that tidbit of information up there, just to show that if I’m talking about Lolita, it is not about dressing up as the character or any sort of sexual deviation cult you might think I’m joining.

No comments: