Thursday, June 7, 2007

Good News?

We finished the testing for dyslexia, or rather, cognitive problems, and I got the results. Although they can't just give me a certificate and say I have dyslexia; the tester said that I have a cognitive disability. But, to sum it up, I have trouble with my auditory memory; a portion of the working memory. In the test part it had been people on a tape saying numbers and I have to repeat them backwards. Gods that was hard. It also effects remembering things and following recipes.

But I'm glad its over. I was so nervous when my teacher was talking to my parents about that. I almost went inside (we were playing baseball) and into th tester's room, just to hear what they were saying.

The teachers also thought it was pointless 'cuz it doesn't really influence the marks I get, or at least it doesn't seem too, but who knows, I might have some hidden power waiting to be released. We would only know until I crack this barrier.

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

Ian has learning disabilities as well. Because of that, when he was in high school and university the Office for Persons with Disabilities gave him extra time and a quiet environment in which he could write exams.

So having a diagnosis of dyslexia or learning disabilities can help you, later on. It's not getting special treatment - it's leveling the playing field so that you can shine as much as possible in spite of the learning disability.

Love,
Auntie Telle